Wednesday 19 September 2012

Flat Hunting Part 2


During my current search for rental accommodation in Germany, I have seen a total of 4 flats. The first one was cheap, but the landlords lived in the flat below, had cats, and I would have had to walk through their house to get to the “Waschraum”. Yes, often in Germany, you aren’t even allowed a washing machine in your flat, but have to march all the way down to the basement to wash your clothes. Not an option for the price they were asking. Flat number 2’s current tenants had rabbits that ran around the flat – it was too dirty for words. No way. Flat number 3 was better – well looked after, it had a kitchen (the previous tenants wanted 500 euros). Minor issues ultimately. We decided to say we were interested.

With this, you move to the next stage of looking for a flat in Germany – the “Meet the Landlord” stage. Basically he checks you out, you check him out. Sound reasonable? I thought so, until this one declared he wanted to meet us in our own home to see how we live. He arrived in my home and requested a tour of my flat. He handed me a questionnaire to fill out, including how much money we earn each month. Luckily I don’t know the German translation for take your flat and stick it up your ****!

Sheer desperation has led me to expand my search. I am now willing to pay twice as much to get a “Neubauwohnung”(new-build) in an area close to the centre. I am even willing to pay the agent’s fees and purchase my own kitchen in the hope of finding somewhere nice to live with a decent “Vermieter”(landlord). My search continues….

No comments:

Post a Comment