Wednesday 10 October 2012

Part 1.5: Sausage Saunas


Has anyone ever tried a Bavarian Weißwurst? I have and they taste good.

Weißwurst, literally white sausage, is a traditional Bavarian sausage made from minced veal and pork bacon. They are generally eaten as a snack between breakfast and lunch. The sausage is brought to the table in a big bowl together with the cooking liquid (so they don’t cool down too much) and then eaten without the skin. You can literally bite or cut the end of the sausage open and suck the meat out from the skin (or of course be more couth, cut out the contents and eat with a knife and fork). It is usually served with sweet mustard and a pretzel and washed down with Bavarian Weissbier.

Yesterday, the Weißwurst took on a whole new meaning for me. Upon reading my blog post about saunas in Germany, a German colleague told me a story about a visit to her favourite sauna last week. It made my day and so I have to share it with you all, hence part 1.5.

In her sauna, they are offering Oktoberfest specials.  It is the season of the Oktoberfest and perhaps they offer you a free beer after your sauna, you think? Oh no, far, far more than that. Read on.

The Aufguss (infusion) – so, essentially, the scent of the sauna, was Weißwurst: made from the water the sausages had been cooked in along with some rosemary and thyme. The guy responsible for pouring the infusion over the hot coals was also naked, wearing only a Lederhosen apron. Apparently he entered singing Nena’s 99 Luftballons song and then during the whole infusion, Oktoberfest party songs were played. So what happened to the sausages they cooked in the water?  Here is your answer: they were served up after the sauna to the naked sauna goers.

I have eaten lots of sausages during my time here, and I am a big fan, but I have never, ever eaten a sausage naked. Give me a few more years here and perhaps I will be converted, just like I was with the "normal" sauna. My colleague assures me it was a “special” experience. Even for a German.

2 comments:

  1. Oh god, the awkward eye contact in the sauna while naked people eat sausages.

    ReplyDelete