Friday 12 October 2012

Part 3: The Privacy Paradox


The third and final installment of my series on the naked truth about Germany.

I would say that the German nation is more private than any other nation I know – but paradoxically, as you’ve already read, they seem to protect the privacy of everything apart from their private parts.

Privacy law is taken very seriously in Germany; much more so than in the UK, where we have an incredibly intrusive media. Due to historical reasons, privacy law in Germany is one of the strictest in the world. Under the Nazi regime and in GDR times, people were under constant surveillance and faced persecution. The Gestapo and the Stasi used methods that severely infringed people’s privacy and had a terrifying impact on their personal lives. Memories of this are still strong and have a massive impact on people’s attitudes and therefore also privacy law itself. Germany, for example, has 17 official bodies responsible for enforcing data protection; one federal one and one for each of the 16 Länder/states. Both Facebook and Google have faced difficulties in dealing with breaches of privacy here. Google have even abandoned Street View in Germany after huge privacy opposition when they first sent their cars in. Before this, Google were forced to agree to allow German residents to opt-out of having their homes or business pictured online by blurring the images; 3% of households chose this option.

When they first meet you, Germans will make a point of shaking your hand – establishing touch, but at arm’s length. This for me summarizes the German attitude – they will be perfectly polite, but that’s often as far as it goes. Maybe it’s just me, but if I move house, whether it be into a new building of flats or a house, I go and make a point of introducing myself to my new neighbours. The Germans, despite being completely willing to strip off naked and reveal all in a sauna, generally don’t have any contact with their neighbours – or take a long while to establish contact – and certainly don’t go around knocking on doors to introduce  themselves. I’ve been living in my building for almost 3 years now and I still don’t know all my neighbours.  It took at least 6 months before a single neighbour even spoke to me – and another 6 months before we were invited up for drinks (and we speak the language). To this day, I wouldn’t be able to tell you much about this neighbour – they simply don’t reveal much about themselves (just of themselves in the sauna that is) and it is difficult, although not impossible, to establish friendships because of this.

At work, privacy is also rife. I once shared an office with a guy who used to bike into work. He would go as far as changing out of his biking clothes into his work clothes in front of me (and hanging them on the radiator to dry), but otherwise only managed a “Guten Morgen” and “Tschüss” to me all day long. I once tried asking him a more personal question to break the ice. “So how was your weekend?” He looked surprised, looked up briefly, and answered, “Good, thanks”, and that was that. A colleague, who joined the company from Brazil told me a similar story. On his first day at work, he went to lunch with his colleagues. He started chatting and asking questions about their families, and so on. One guy actually turned around and asked him to stop asking such personal questions.

I like my colleagues, but I honestly couldn’t tell you anything about who they are. I now know that it has nothing to do with me and that they are not being rude; they simply like to clearly separate their work life from their private life. Nevertheless, I’m sure that if I were to pop down to the work sauna tonight, I would discover more than I ever wanted to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment